The Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) has helped many international students to obtain admission to accredited universities, colleges, and community colleges in the United States.
Conditional admission provides a student with two important benefits:
- Admission to an American university or college after the student has met English-language or other specific requirements that the university may set. These admission requirements are documented in a letter to the student that is valid for 1-3 semesters, depending on the university.
- Documentation that the student can use when applying for an F-1 (student) visa using an I-20 issued by TIEP for full-time English study at TIEP.
To be eligible for the Conditional Admission service, students must be enrolled full-time at TIEP or have been accepted to study full-time at TIEP for a minimum of seven weeks.
Students applying for a community college program must have a high school diploma.
Students applying for a four-year undergraduate program should have a minimum high school grade point average (GPA) equivalent of 2.25 (of 4). Students applying for an undergraduate engineering program should have a minimum GPA equivalent of 2.5 (of 4).
Students applying for graduate study should have a minimum undergraduate GPA equivalent of 3.0 (of 4). Students applying for a graduate engineering program should have a minimum undergraduate GPA equivalent of 3.3 (of 4). Currently, St. Edward’s University and University of Houston-Victoria are the only universities that will consider applications for conditional admission for graduate study.
When a student is accepted to study at TIEP, we issue an I-20 to the student for study in TIEP’s Texas University Pathway program. Under the Conditional Admission service, TIEP will request a conditional admission letter for the student from the university or college the student has requested or from an appropriate institution that matches the student’s academic interests and ability to meet admission requirements.
Students who qualify for conditional admission will receive a letter from the university or college that will specify the conditions that he or she must meet before study can begin at the university.
These conditions may include minimum English language proficiency and acceptable scores on entrance exams such as the SAT. After the student has met the requirements specified by the university while studying full-time at TIEP, the university will issue an I-20 and the student may enroll.
TIEP is a program of the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC), an association of Texas public universities. These universities offer more than 1,800 bachelor’s degree programs, 1,500 master’s degree programs, and 400 doctoral programs. Several of the TIEC-affiliated universities are recognized as leading research institutions in the state and nation. Others are prominent in the areas of undergraduate education, liberal arts, curriculum development, and teaching. TIEC-Affiliated Universities as well as private universities and community colleges may be considered in requesting a conditional admission.
TIEC offers a free Guide to Texas Universities that can assist you with your selection of universities.
The following Texas universities and colleges agree to issue a letter for conditional admission to their campuses for international undergraduate students attending TIEP. The letter specifies criteria that the student must meet for such admission. These universities offer many great choices for undergraduate and graduate study.
- Angelo State University (scholarships available)
- Austin Community College (SAT not required)
- Dallas Baptist University (scholarships available) (SAT not required)
- Midwestern State University
- St. Edward’s University (SAT not required)
- Sam Houston State University (SAT not required)
- Schreiner University (SAT not required)
- Southwestern University (SAT not required)
- Stephen F. Austin State University (SAT not required)
- Sul Ross State University
- Tarleton State University
- Texas A&M University-Commerce
- Texas A&M University-Kingsville (SAT not required)
- Texas Health and Science University (SAT not required)
- Texas State University
- Texas Wesleyan University
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (SAT not required)
- The University of Texas at San Antonio (SAT not required)
- University of Houston-Victoria (scholarships available) (SAT not required)
- West Texas A&M University (scholarships available) (SAT not required)
To participate in the TIEP Conditional Admission service, you will need to do the following:
- Complete the TIEP Application for Admission and pay the non-refundable, non-transferable application fee.
- Complete the TIEP Application for Conditional Admission.
- Pay the non-refundable, non-transferable processing fees as follows:
- Submission of one application for conditional admission – $300. NOTE: This fee is not required for applications to Austin Community College (ACC) and St. Edward’s University.
- Submission of more than one application for conditional admission – $300.00 (plus $150 for each additional application to be submitted)
- Obtain the following documents:
- An official transcript translated into English of your high school record and all college or university classes you have completed. An official translation must accompany any documents that are not in English.
- Official proof of high school or university graduation (original or notarized copy of diploma, baccalaureate, etc.)
- A course-by-course evaluation of foreign academic credentials through one of the agencies listed below. For a full description of fees and services, visit the website directly. Alternately, for an additional charge of $150, TIEP can arrange the credentials evaluation with the conditional admissions service. Please note, these evaluations can take up to four weeks, which may delay the admissions decision.
- If you are applying for an undergraduate program, you should send a copy of your most recent TOEFL score, if you have taken the TOEFL. You should also send a copy of your most recent SAT score, if you have taken the SAT.
- A letter from your bank or sponsor indicating the amount of funds available to pay for your educational and living expenses in the U.S.
- If you are applying for conditional admission to a graduate program, you should include GRE or GMAT scores, if available, and must also include three letters of recommendation from professors or employers, and a Statement of Purpose explaining why you want to pursue post-baccalaureate studies and what your academic and professional qualifications are.
Send all of the above to:
University Conditional Admission
Texas Intensive English Program
1103 W. 24th Street
Austin, TX 78705-4603
Conditional admission will be sought for one or more colleges/universities in accordance with payment of the appropriate fee and submission of all required documents. If you do not meet the minimum requirements for conditional admission to the institution(s), we will notify you. If you wish to pursue additional conditional admission applications, you will need to send $150 for each additional application. NOTE: This fee is not required for conditional admission applications to Austin Community College (ACC).
Please allow four to eight weeks from the time that your application is complete to receive a response to your application for conditional admission. NOTE: Responses to applications for conditional admission to Austin Community College (ACC) and St. Edward’s University will be processed in less than one week.