TIEP offers Institutional TOEFL (ITP) exams five times per year to enrolled students. One TOEFL exam is included in each semester’s registration fee for the intensive courses. Generally, it takes beginning students three semesters of study, intermediate students two semesters of study, and advanced students one semester of study to achieve admissible TOEFL scores to begin academic study at a U.S. college or university. Students who complete TIEP‘s highest academic preparation level have an average TOEFL score of 573 (IBT score 89) with 20% scoring above 600 (IBT score 100).
TOEFL Test Preparation at TIEP
For individuals with intermediate through advanced level English proficiency who want to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).This course focuses on both the TOEFL iBT and the paper-based Institutional TOEFL. Course goals are to provide extensive practice in listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills for the iBT; to offer systematic study of the test format in each of the test sections; and to teach successful test-taking strategies designed to improve TOEFL scores.
TOEFL/IELTS Score Not Necessary for University Admission for TIEP Students
The following Texas universities and colleges agree to waive the official TOEFL/IELTS score requirement for TIEP‘s advanced-level students who have successfully completed the TIEP program and who are seeking undergraduate admission to their campuses the next semester:
- Angelo State University (scholarships available)
- Austin Community College (SAT not required)
- Lamar University
- St. Edward’s University (SAT not required)
- Sam Houston State University (SAT not required)
- Schreiner University (SAT not required)
- Southwestern University (SAT not required)
- Stephen F. Austin State University (SAT not required)
- Sul Ross State University
- Tarleton State University
- Texas A&M International University
- Texas A&M University-Commerce
- Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- Texas A&M University-Kingsville (SAT not required)
- Texas Health and Science University (SAT not required)
- Texas Wesleyan University
- Texas Woman’s University (SAT not required)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (SAT not required)
- The University of Texas at Tyler (scholarships available)
- West Texas A&M University (scholarships available) (SAT not required)
Requirements for graduate admission may vary by department, and a minimum TOEFL score or IELTS score may be required.
To compare TOEFL iBT® scores to IELTS® Academic Module scores, click here.