The mission of the Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) is to provide exemplary English-language instruction, training, and student services.
To prepare English language learners to succeed in a global environment.
- To develop the English language and study skills of international students in preparation for study at an American college or university, and/or for the use of English in professional and social contexts.
- To provide initial and on-going support to international students to foster a successful stay in the United States.
- To familiarize international students with the people, culture, and customs of the United States.
- To provide student support and administrative services of the highest quality in an efficient manner.
- To facilitate intercultural awareness and understanding among students.
- To hire, support, and retain a credentialed faculty with demonstrated high standards of professional conduct, abilities, and experience in teaching English as a Second Language.
- To encourage active faculty and staff participation in the development and evaluation of the program.
- To foster an intellectual atmosphere in which professional development is valued and pursued by faculty and staff.
- To serve as an English-language proficiency testing center.
- To serve as a resource for the Texas International Education Consortium on projects that involve language and cultural instruction, including the training of international teachers of English.
- To establish a local, state, national, and international presence for TIEP through the participation of the faculty and professional staff in relevant professional associations and activities.
TIEP’s instruction, services, and practices are in compliance with the Standards of the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), the Standards of EnglishUSA, and the Statement of Ethical Principles of NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
TIEP is a nonprofit educational organization and is a division of the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC), an Association of Texas Public Universities for International Education. TIEC’s activities are governed by the presidents of its affiliated universities who serve as the Board of Directors.